05 August, 2026

New code, pre-loved leotard

This year I joined a different physie code, APDA. 

Being a little wiser now, I had a clearer idea of which styles and colours might suit me. I already knew what worked for my body and what to avoid. The try‑on box confirmed most of what I expected and only slightly adjusted my ideas.

I also wanted to check sizing because I had heard that some styles run small, some require sizing up, and some do not suit longer bodies while others are more generous. However, it was disappointing that there weren't colour swatches with the try-on box.

Nowadays, I am more conscious about pre‑loved options and op‑shop finds in my everyday life. For physie, I am committing to wearing pre‑loved leotards and uniforms rather than buying excess.

I pledge to wear each leotard at least eight times on stage (for some frequent performers that might be just over a year, but for me that's a longer commitment). I also pledge to have a maximum of four leotards at one time, and when it's time to let go of a leotard, I'll gift, sell or donate it. It is partly about cost per wear, but it's also my way of helping the planet. Having only one to four choices also reduces decision fatigue when getting ready and helps me establish my identity.

In my first stint with physie, I wore my first leotard for the first 3 years. Currently, I only have one second-hand (but new) APDA leotard and don't plan on adding any others until 2-3 years later. 

My fishnet tights from 2016 have been used many times during my physie break for other performances in different art forms. I am hoping they make it to the twenty‑year mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment